The nomination process for the general secretary elections has now begun! Mark Serwotka has led the way as General Secretary of the PCS in building a democratic, campaigning union that has fought hard to defend members interests and public services. More than that, PCS has argued for an alternative to cuts, privatisation and austerity and been at the forefront of the TUC pushing for coordinated action to fight across the whole public sector.
Left Unity is strongly urging that we continue to support Mark and ask that you nominate him at your branch general meetings, publicise the elections with your members and help campaign to ensure PCS remains a left led trade union. Election leaflets are also available to send out to members both electronic and physically.
If your branch hasn’t already organised a meeting to discuss the general secretary’s elections, please do so ASAP. Nominations need to be in by Thursday 23 October.
Mark is standing on a platform to continue to:
- Fight for fair pay
- Build joint action between trade unions, in both the private and public sectors
- Negotiate hard with the government and employers, but stand ready to take action should they refuse to meet our demands
- Organise against the cuts in facility time and threats to check-off.
- Fight the victimisation of reps
- Give full support to all members taking action against cuts
- Campaign against the privatisation of our public services
- Stand against the rise in prejudice, racism and all forms of discrimination
- Build our union organisation in the private sector
- Continue discussions with other unions on all options for strengthening the fightback, including merger
- Campaign to defend the welfare state and for the PCS alternative to austerity
The ballot for General Secretary will open on 20 November and close on 11 December.
If you can help in his campaign and/or make a donation to his campaign fund please visit http://reelectmarkserwotka.nationbuilder.com/